• Score: Johns Hopkins – 3, Swarthmore – 0 (25-19, 25-11, 25-12)
• Records: Johns Hopkins (20-7) • Swarthmore (14-10)
• Location: Lancaster, PA • Mayser Gym
• The Short Story: The Johns Hopkins volleyball team defeated Swarthmore in straight-sets to advance to the Centennial Conference Final for the third consecutive season.
How it Happened
The Garnet got out to a 5-1 lead in the opening set but a kill from Louisa Kishton
ended the Swarthmore run and started a 4-0 JHU run to put the Blue Jays up 6-5.
• The two conference rivals remained close until a 5-0 Hopkins run, which featured three straight kills from Michelle Abt,
gave JHU a 17-13 advantage.
• Hopkins scored three of the sets final five points as a kill from Lauren Anthony
gave JHU the 25-19 set one victory.
A 4-0 Blue Jay run doubled up the Garnet as Hopkins took a 6-3 lead and later in the set a 5-0 run put Hopkins up 11-4.
• Hopkins put together another run, this time outscoring the Garnet 6-0 as an ace from Morgan Wu
capped the run and gave the Blue Jays a 25-11 victory in the set.
• The Blue Jays used a 3-1 run to go up 5-3, but the Garnet went on a 3-0 run to go up by one. JHU responded with a 3-0 run of its own to regain the lead at 8-6.
• A kill from Abt sparked a 4-0 Blue Jay run which extended their lead to 13-8.
• Johns Hopkins went on an 11-1 run to close the set as a kill by Micaelle Larrieux
gave Hopkins the 25-12 win.
What it Means
• This is the third straight season the Blue Jays and Garnet have met in the conference tournament and Hopkins is 3-0 in those matches. Overall, JHU is now 4-0 against Swarthmore, and JHU has defeated the Garnet in straight sets on two occasions.
• JHU is now 5-3 as a #2 seed. The last time Hopkins was a two seed was 2012 and Hopkins went onto win the tournament, which was also hosted by Franklin & Marshall. Johns Hopkins defeated the Garnet 3-0 in the semifinals that year to advance to the finals where Hopkins swept the Diplomats to claim the title.
Inside the Box Score
• Eleni Panagopoulos
led Hopkins with 12 kills while Bliss added 11.
• Esther Hong
had a team-high 15 digs and Kishton finished 13.
• Nicole Hada
finished with a match-high 34 assists.
• Hopkins will take on McDaniel at 1 pm at Franklin & Marshall for the Centennial Conference Title and an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
- 30 -